Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Appreciation

I talked to my Dad this weekend, went for lunch with my step Dad and my Aunt and I spoke recently with my Uncle, my great Aunt and even my Father in law.  Two sister in laws a brother in law and my younger brother have been over recently.  But tomorrow it will be over a year since I've spoken to my Mother in law.

Last year at Easter the in laws were over.  Holly wasn't feeling well.  She had a sore back, and it had been like that for a while.  In fact it was so bad she and Neil spent most of one night at the hospital.  Despite that it was still a great visit.  The boys love their Nana, Ethan especially with whom Holly had a special bond.  We reminisced, talked about future plans, and marveled at how things change, and yet stay the same.  Terie and I woke Holly up with an impromptu boxing match in the room above where she was sleeping, and even got it on video; definitely a holiday classic!

What nobody new that weekend was that Holly only had weeks to live.  Holly had cancer, but no one knew it.  Her back problems were due to a large tumor and she also had cancer in the lungs.  The following weeks were a terrible time, with frantic visits, hope and sadness, smiles and tears.  In the end there were many more tears, and the months to follow were especially hard.



I was reminded this week that time doesn't stop, doesn't even slow down for you in times like this.  Suddenly it has been a year.  Family will come together tomorrow, and we will find comfort in the company, and the great memories we have been left with.






We will also be reminded to appreciate the time we have with those we love.


 We all miss you Holly <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment